Sunday, November 3, 2013

Balancing It All

I hate to admit it but I think we are starting to slow down with the house madness. We are realizing that we can't do it all - grad school, work, social life - and keep up the same pace with the house. I started a new project in Charlotte, NC last weekend and the crazy hours we are working have prevented me from keeping up with my blog as well :( Time to catch you up on the progress we've made! 

Last weekend Andrew had a big homework assignment due so I was on my own for the house work. My biggest priority was painting Dan's room because he moved in November 1. I am finally starting to learn my lesson and brought home paint swatches and samples before deciding on a color.




The bottom color was a little more purple than I expected so I decided on the top for Dan's room and the bottom for the guest room (no more dressing room, we need a room for our guests!).



While I painted, Andrew took a break from homework to finish the hallway floors.


It was a light weekend of house work but Andrew finished his homework, the guest room is complete and we are ready for our new roomie!

Merrill is ready for Dan!

We were recently asked to host Andrew's Philly tri club's end of year party on December 6th. I agreed, thinking thought this would give us some motivation and a goal to work toward. We made a list of everything we still need to do:
- Finish trim on the first and second floor
- Install the third floor hardwood floors
- Do SOMETHING with the second floor bathroom
- Carpet the bedrooms
- Buy a guest room bed
- Hang the dining room mirror
- Finish our bedroom
- Paint the stairs

This weekend we started some of our to do list items but I am a little nervous about getting the big things done. Andrew worked on the trim both Saturday and Sunday but it takes forever to do so I started painting the stairs. Our current stairs need to be replaced but I decided to paint them for now until we are ready to replace them.



Since Dan was moving in, I need to wait to paint the treads (I will be painting them black) so I focused on painting the rise of the stairs white.

Such a difference!

I was so pleased with how they turned out! Next weekend I will start by painting every other stair black and we should be done in two weeks! Another to-do list item we finshed was hanging our dining room mirror, which we bought at Ikea a few weekends ago.

Tools everywhere!

Tonight I cleaned up the downstairs and realized that the house won't be perfect by the tri party but it will be great! I am really happy with how things are coming along, I just need to be patient :)

It's getting there...

2 comments :

  1. Any tips or steps for first time painters? I'm getting ready to paint my office at work. Your walls turned out so great!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you Kristina! My suggestion would be to buy sample paints and test them out on the wall before you paint. If you are painting over a darker color, be sure to use a coat of primer before to save yourself painting numerous coats!

      Delete