Monday, November 18, 2013

Feels Like Home

My parents moved to Kutztown, PA a month after I graduated high school and now that we live in the city, going home always brings me a quiet peace. The setting is beautiful and we always enjoy the best of country food and living. 

Beautiful morning

This weekend we took a quick trip to Kuztown for Andrew's cyclocross bike race. It was the perfect fall day and we were overdue for a trip home.


The race start

Unfortunately, my dad was on a business trip in California, but I did have an opportunity to spend some time with my mom, Aunt Hallie and Uncle Larry. Andrew couldn't help but smirk as we screamed his name every time we saw him. He loves having a cheer squad :)


Biggest (and loudest) fans!

Andrew had a great first and last cross race of the season so now it was time to take advantage of everything Kutztown has to offer, including my mom's house decorating advice!


I have always been his #1 Fan
First we had to do a little bit of shopping in the local market. Andrew is always so super hungry after these cross races, so it was smoothies, donuts and egg sandwiches for the little cyclist.

So so so good!

Next it was a trip to our favorite used furniture store, somewhere my mom goes every Thursday to check on the latest furniture for us. This place is convenient, cheap and full of furniture with a lot of character. My goal is to find a similar place in the Philadelphia area to do my furniture shopping!


Random furniture everywhere

We were in need of just one more piece of furniture for our living room and my mom had the best idea for us. She has had her eye on this buffet for awhile, I just needed to be there to see it and approve. You were right, Mirk, good job :)

so fancy

We weren't exactly planning on buying furniture so we had lots of fun trying to figure out the best way to get the buffet in our car, along with everything else we were carrying around.

Not a chance.. 
Bam Bam

Leave it to our trusty Civic to fit everything in the car: the bike, a bed frame, the buffet and a new piece my mom gave us to use as a coffee table.


It all fits!

Next, we had a date with our good friends, Mel and Keegan, whose daughter just turned 1 and I had never met! Luella Linder is the sweetest and most pleasant babies and it was a pleasure finally meeting her!

Just the sweetest little girl

I was not convinced on carpet for the bedrooms, but the Linder's home is wood floors with carpeted bedrooms, and it really made the bedrooms feel comfortable. Their house was awesome inspiration for me so we made my mom come to Home Depot with us to pick out carpet.

We felt so many different carpets!

I was so happy my mom came with us since I have no idea what I am doing when it comes to carpet. We decided to put in a light and comfortable carpet, which I cannot wait to have installed! 


Our new carpet!

We also picked out lights for the second floor bathroom, which needs some love before we have anyone over for a housewarming party. 

what a fox
Mary teaching Andrew about lights

Again, I am so happy my mom was with us to help pick out the lights. She has great taste and you cannot beat 25 years of house mistakes and experience!

These two.

After our Home Depot trip it was time to get back to Philly to unload our new furniture! It was an interesting trip home but we were super happy with the look of the new buffet.


Looking good!

This weekend we are in L.A. for a wedding so I had to be strategic about which housework I did when and when to schedule a manicure (my first manicure since buying the house, so sad!). I decided Saturday night would be the best time for me to finish painting the stairs so I could do manicures Sunday morning.


Hopefully my last time using oil-based paint

We are definitely feeling the crunch to get as much done possible in the limited time we have before our tri party and housewarming party. Poor Andrew spent all day Sunday completing a homework assignment, so it was limited house time. 

Cool curtains, right?

We will get there, slowly but surely :)

1 comment :

  1. LOVING the buffet, the frames on the Keith pieces and the black treads - can't wait to hear how they wear! (We've got three floors of tenant staircase I'd love to update...)

    100% agreed - living in the city makes trips to the Kutz so. much. lovelier.

    ReplyDelete