Friday, October 18, 2013

It's All About the Small Wins

This week I was lucky enough to be home with my boys so I kept busy with house projects as we prepare to install the wood floors. It was a good week! I was able to get so much done and I am really starting to feel settled in the house. I spent a lot of time in the basement painting the trim, which is now all ready for Saturday!


Happy we went with the 5 1/4"
That's a lot of trim!
While the trim dried, I went to to my favorite Benjamin Moore shop to pick out colors for our bedroom and office on the third floor. My mom came with me and taught me the importance of coordinating the colors. 

Bedroom, Office, Undecided
Since I have not paid any attention to our bedroom, I prioritized painting the room's walls and trim first. 
White walls
I originally bought a light purple for my dressing room and, since that is on hold, painted a sample on the bedroom walls to see if I would like it.

nope.
It was way too much, so I decided on the darker purple and painted the trim late Tuesday night.
Time to roll
It was a quick room to paint after the trim was complete and I am semi-happy with the results. It turned out much more purple than I anticipated, but I think it may also seem worse since the room is basically empty. I ordered sheer white curtains from West Elm, which should hopefully be in soon.

Very purple..
Today I walked into Anthropologie and found this awesome gold polka dot pillow for the bed. I was so excited and can't wait to buy more for the room!

Love polka dots!
On Wednesday morning we had a window company come out to give us a quote for replacing the four upstairs windows. Good news! Although we have water issues, it was recommended that we do not replace the windows until we make a few changes to the existing windows. The water damage we do have has been from 30 years of rain, so it is not imperative that we replace the windows immediately. I was very happy to hear this, it means I can finally hang my new curtains! I got the Oversized Adjustable Metal Rod in Brushed Metal from West Elm, which Andrew had to help me hang.

Mr. Handy Man
Andrew isn't thrilled by the lack of color in the house (which I love) so I decided on the Scribble Curtain in Midnight Blue, to add a little color to the hallway.

I like.
My sister came to West Elm with me and convinced me to buy two jewelry boxes I have had my eye on for a few weeks. I have had the same jewelry rack for about 8 years so it was time for a change and it will bring some fun to my depressing dressing room.

I need to put my jewelry in them!

After the bedroom was painted, I spent all day Thursday painting our office. Since Andrew is in grad school and I work from home on Fridays, it is really important that this room is comfortable. The paint made a huge difference and I am really happy with how things are beginning to take shape!

Cats helping to paint.. and covered in it.

I used the taupe color, which actually turned out more pink than expected but I really like it! Now I need to focus on slowly adding more to the room to pull it all together.


The upstairs is finally starting to come together so now I am starting to plan what I want to do with our nasty third floor bathroom. Since it is so small, I want to do something fun. I was inspired by the picture below that I found on Pinterest and I think I am going to go for it!

So fun.

My mom found this awesome website, Spoonflower, which has super fun wallpapers. I've never been into wallpaper, and it will definitely be more expensive than paint, but I think it could be really nice. I really like the Rainy Dots wallpaper, which will look similar to the picture above. This project will be put on hold for a few months but it is fun to begin planning!

We are now within 24 hours of getting rid of our old, nasty laminate and putting down the new Hickory! Earlier in the week we finished ripping up the tiles so our feet stuck to the floors all week.. not fun.


The final step before we begin nailing the wood down is laying down a paper and laying out the wood. The wood is a mix of lengths and shades, so the trick will be to make sure we spread out the dark wood. We called in the troops to help lay the paper and wood.            







Andrew's brother Dan came to help and chat about him moving into our guest room! Dan works in Horsham and has been living at home since he graduated last May so he is looking forward to moving into the city. It will be nice to have him around, he is the sweetest.



My next blog post will be all about our wood floor experience! Can't wait!

No comments :

Post a Comment