Sunday, October 5, 2014

Mrs. H. Finishes the Kitchen and Throws a Partay

We deliberately scheduled the party for this weekend so we would have a deadline for finishing the kitchen, so I got home Thursday night and we got straight to work with the final updates. Andrew worked hard all week on the bigger chores so all we had left to do was grouting. We bought white, pre-mixed grouting from Lowe's but the grout lines are so detailed it took nearly three hours to complete.




We were really happy with how the white grout turned out so we celebrated with a glass of wine in our newly renovated yard. While I was gone this week, Andrew ripped out all the chain link fence and cut down the poles. It feels like a whole new yard and we didn't spend a dime on it!



On Friday morning Andrew woke me up super early to tell me that the grout dried and it looked terrible. Again, the pre-mixed grout screwed us over and we were devastated. 


Not good...

I called my mom super early and she suggested we try grouting over it lightly to cover the holes. I had some leftover grout from Thursday night and tested out a patch. The instructions said this was a possibility, which is just such b.s. 

Check out #5

It looked great so we decided to try it on the rest of the backsplash before going to the extreme, ripping out the backsplash entirely. It was just really frustrating having to spend more money and time on more grout.


While at Lowe's, I also bought a lucky bamboo tree to put in the kitchen. If this grout fix didn't work, I was ready to cancel the party and just be sad over the kitchen - we needed some luck.


The grouting worked (thank goodness) so the party was on! Our kitchen was finally complete so I spent Saturday cleaning the house and putting all the tools away. My mom and sister came early to help so we hung out in the kitchen and cooked appetizers for the party.

The mirky birda

The first time the house has been clean in months!

Every Saturday Rittenhouse Square has a farmer's market so I went for the first time to buy flowers for the kitchen. I decided on hydrangeas and cockscomb, which I thought were a nice finishing touch for the kitchen!


We had friends stop by all through the night and it was so nice to have everyone over. Andrew's old roommate, Bruno, bought a "selfie stick," so we used that all night and it was a huge hit!



We can't play games in the kitchen anymore so we took the games to the new and improved back yard. It was a late night but so much fun, so I'm happy our grouting catastrophe wasn't as bad as it could have been!





We were in rough shape on Sunday, we really can't party like we used to. There was some McDonald's involved in the road to recovery and lots of time on the couch.


We did manage to take a walk to the new boardwalk that was just put in on South Street. The city did an awesome job and it was a beautiful walk to end the weekend.



Now that the kitchen is complete, we are focusing on enjoying Philadelphia and saving money for awhile! No more big projects but I know this house will always be a work in progress :)

No comments :

Post a Comment